Waffles are delicious, but Belgian waffles take it to another level. While in search of an authentic recipe, we stumbled upon this one on Food.com.
Liege Waffles (Belgian Pearl Sugar Waffles)
1/4 oz package yeast
1/3 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 cup softened butter
1 cup pearl sugar
1. Mix yeast, water, sugar and salt, and let develop for 15 minutes.
2. Place flour into a large bowl.
3. Make a well, pour in yeast mixture, and begin to knead.
4. Continue to knead, add eggs, one at a time, and add soft butter, 2 tablespoons each addition, mixing well.
5. Let dough rest in bowl until doubled.
6. Gently mix in pearl sugar.
7. Let rest for 15 minutes.
8. Heat waffle iron.
9. When hot, butter waffle iron, pour in 3 tablespoons dough per waffle.
10. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until waffles lightly brown on top.
11. Serve warm or room temperature.