Interior designer Erin Mercer explores the stylish streets of Santa Monica and gains new appreciation for serious design in the laid back beach town.
1. Linger for an hour or two at Brentwood Country Mart and make sure to save time for Calypso Home St. Barth. Global inspired furnishings and accessories are artfully displayed in the gracious setting.
2. Design enthusiasts adore the mad mix of urban clothing and home decor at Hip’tique. Sassy pillows with expressions like ‘call your mother’ mingle with funky light fixtures and accessories. For the record, the jewelry is pretty tempting too.
3. Let’s not squabble over technicalities. Although Urban Country and Obselete are a few steps out of Santa Monica and into Venice, they are must visit design destinations. Urban Country features a funhouse mix of vintage and industrial rarities while Obsolete’s focus is artwork and unique objets d’art. The price tags are equally serious, but design inspiration is free.
4. Owners Asher and Jessica Richter of Weego Home are rightfully proud of the locally made custom furnishings their Main Street shop brings to the ‘hood. Shopping here is rewarding and fun.
5. It’s easy to spend the better part of a day shopping Montana Avenue. Pom Pom ranks high for casual European charm. The linen napkins, bedding and tabletop selections are exceptional.
For more about Santa Monica, visit: Dabble does Santa Monica, Issue 2 May/Jun 2011.